top of page
  • Are the people that will be housed in Kilhey Court dangerous because their is a fence going round to keep them in?
    We have asked the question and got no response yet. this is a major concern that we all share.
  • Email chase to Standish ward Cllrs, leader and Chief Executive of Wigan Council
    As many will know we sent a letter to all 3 ward Cllrs, Leader and Chief Executive of Wigan Council. we have not had a response or even an acknowledgement yet. We have sent a chase email this morning and it is below for openness and transparency. If and when we get a response we will share that with you.
  • We asked Chorley Council what they did to stop Park Hotel being used as a Migrants accommodation. Answers are below.
  • Can anyone take legal action to stop Kilhey Court housing the economic migrants?
    A number of Council's have taken legal action and lost getting an injunction to stop hotels housing asylum seekers. However, there has been at least one Council that won one earlier in the year. That was in Great Yarmouth. Closer to home both Chorley Council and Bolton Council recently stopped hotels housing these migrants without going to court. Therefore we believe that there are legal avenues that could be explored by the council. Gareth Fairhurst founder of Standish Views Matter and local campaigner has researched the Great Yarmouth injunction and this was when they used a neighbourhood plan. Standish has one of these and we believe the council could ask a leading Barrister for their Legal Opinion if we could amend ours to stop this. The question is will Wigan Council do this?
  • Has Standish Views Matter received a response from the Council yet on our letter to them on the legal option?
    We have received an email from the Chief Executive and she does not agree to what we ask but merely says the Council consider's legal action. But we say before any legal action the council needs to go and get Legal opinion, which is what we asked for. We have responded and said this and also if the council did go and get any legal opinion from a leading barrister then that would help the council make an informed decision. It is not clear if a news article that was going to come out about our letter prompted the council to reply or if it was just coincidental but let's give them the benefit of doubt on it for now and see if they reply to our response.
  • Do Wigan Council get money for having the economic migrants in the borough, inc Kilhey Court?
    Gareth Fairhurst put a Freedom of Information requestion to Wigan Council. Here is the response. When we went to the link it has 3 figures £750, £3,500 and £3,000. Totalling £7,250.
  • To the home office - FOI when did Cllr Parkinson, Whittingham and the Council send letters to you and their responses
    When I learnt of the decision to close Kilhey Court on Friday 18th August 2023 ( article here - Wigan's plushest hotel - Kilhey Court - is to house asylum-seekers (wigantoday.net)) I was like the most of Standishers who were all dismayed at this news that was rolled out that Kilhey Court was to close, jobs lost and weddings cancelled. In the article you can see the Council claim they have written to the Home Office already. Disgusted and dismayed at this I started the petition to collect names online to call for this to be stopped. I did this on the same day the 18 August 2023 so we had the best chance of success. It would seem from the article on the 18th August 2023 the council agreed with us that this was not a suitable situation.. What I did question to myself was the Council said they welcomed these people but Kilhey Court wasn't the right location. The only question I had to that was where would the Council place them? They refuse to answer this! After setting up the online petition I now know the Council, with possibly our Cllrs, reported that to the online provider to get that taken down . On the evening of Saturday 19th August 2023 that petition was taken down saying it was due to hatred it was causing in the community. That petition, which was redone was worded very carefully so no one would be able to say this. That petition had over 1250 names on it and lost. I have heard the Council and Cllrs hated the speed that the community were coming together nd it was myself that had done this. Who did it didn't matter, the main issue it was being done. The Council and cllrs had not at this point sent any letters to the home office and only action was to try and take down a community petition. I then did the website and incorporated the new petition. I did this on the 19th and 20th August, inc overnight. There was no way the council and Standish Cllrs where going to gag Standishers. So, after the Cllrs came out and said, and kept repeating, we have sent letters, I put in a FOI to the Council for a copy of the letter and they refuse to show us the letters but only extracts. The claim that it could endanger community relations if we see it. I also sent FOI to the Home Office asking when the Council and Cllrs send their letters and the responses. The response from the Home Office is in and in line with our open and transparency policy here on Standish Views Matter (SVM) the response are below but the dates are here Friday 18th August - Article in Wigantoday and this was when we first learnt of this. Evening of Friday 18th August - Online petition started by Gareth Fairhurst Saturday 19th August -Ince Cllr Maureen O'Bern shared the petition and called for a protest march. Saturday 19th August - Wigan Council and poss with Standish Cllrs call for the online petition to be taken down. Evening of Saturday 19 & overnight to Sunday 20 August Standish Views Matter started and has a new petition in the Standish Views Matters Website, this was so the council and Cllrs could not get it taken down again as we controlled it. Monday 21 August - Cllr Deborah Parkinson emails the Home Office. Wednesday 23 August - Cllr Ray Whittingham emails the Home Office Monday 4th September - Cllr Deborah Parkinson emails the Home Office again. Notice no emails from Wigan Council and or Labour Cllr Terry Mugan. Cllr Parkinson letter response and confirms the date the original email was sent 3 days after we started the petition, Cllr Whittingham letter response and confirms the date the original email was sent 5 days after we started the petition, Cllr Parkinson second email on 4th September
  • When did Wigan Council find out about Kilhey Court and hide info
    The founder of Standish Views Matter always says it is not what Wigan Council says about issues but what it "doesn't say". Under the Freedom of Information we asked when did the Council first find out about economic migrants going into Kilhey Court. They say "confirmation" came on the 15th. That is not what we asked as we know people in the community knew about it days before hand. So Wigan Council fails to hide the answer when did they first know? They try and twist it to say when they confirmed it. We we will appeal this FOI request and point out that was not the question. Then we asked to see the whole letter what was sent to the Home Office and the Council said they believe it would endanger lives. Are Wigan Council saying them showing the whole letter would endanger our lives? If so then we should know what the danger is. Or are they saying that Standish residents will go and endanger lives if economic migrants? Which is wholly false and shows the lack of disregard they would have for us. They should explain who lives are in danger and if it is ours then they need to tell us why? In our open and transparent policy here is the question and answer
  • If I have asked a FOI about the issue can you publish the question and response you sent and got?
    Absolutely, many residents have said they have sent in FOI's in and we want to always publish facts. This will defeat any conjecture and or propaganda from anyone on the other side. Just contact us and send us the question/ request you sent in and the response. That way we can keep everyone informed.
  • We Have asked the Council under the Freedom of information about when they learnt of the Kilhey Court issues and when. Also a copy of the letter sent to the Home office on behalf of the council. Please confirm the first date the council or council officers were told about the matter? How did the council find out? A copy of the letter sent to the home office saying it was not suitable accommodation.
    We are currently awaiting the reply but again to be open and transparent here is a copy of the email
  • We asked where would the Council put immigrants
    Wigan Council said in their official statement that is on their website that they welcome economic migrants and it was only the case that it was that Kilhey Court was not the correct place to house them. So if the Council welcomes them but does not believe Kilhey Court is the correct place, where would they put them? Council houses? Private rented accommodation? So we asked the question under the Freedom of Information (FOI) legislation. This is their response. Basically the council does not have to give an opinion under foi. But we were not asking for an opinion. It could only be an opinion if the council hadn't thought where they would house them. So this would show the council put that statement out without thinking about it. But to be open and transparent here is the question and answer
bottom of page